Thursday, April 9, 2009

Martha Stewart Living The New Classics


Much like The Original Classics, I think this book is virtually bombproof. I had a little dinner party last night and everything I made (six recipes actually) came out of this book. What I made:
Lemon-Parsley Gougeres
Baked Buttermilk Chicken
Sauteed Peas and Scallions
Individual Portobello Mushroom Gratins
Sour Cream-Thyme Rolls
Papaya Sorbet

I was most excited to try making gougeres, ever since reading one of Ruth Reichel's memoirs. In it, she spends an entire chapter espousing the wonderfulness that are gougeres, and ever since then, I've been dying to try them (both eating and cooking). Essentially, they're like tiny little eggy pastry puffs and they absolutely melt in your mouth. They're so light you can down a dozen without even noticing. Oops. Did I admit that? They were so so so much easier to make than I was expecting, and are definitely something that were a hit, and that could easily be made for a quick appetizer after a workday. 

The thing I love about this book is it makes me want to abandon my cookbook project and just keep making things out of it. Everything is/sounds that good. I think the most exciting chapter is Side Dishes. Usually sides and vegetable dishes don't really whip me into a tizzy, but each one sounds so good I can taste it. The peas and mushrooms that I made both came out of this section. Some others I can't wait to try: Fricassee of Wild Mushrooms, Maple-Glazed Parsnips and Carrots, Cauliflower, Prosciutto and Goat Cheese Gratin, Jerusalem Artichoke and Chestnut Gratin...you get the idea. Seriously, these will get you excited about eating your veggies. 

The one thing I wasn't excited about was the Papaya Sorbet. But that could be due to the fact that the first papaya I cracked into smelled of cheese and tasted like...well, like cheesey cardboard. Needless to say, I threw it out, went back to the store, and purchased some new ones. Those ones didn't smell of cheese and tasted like...well like just straight cardboard. The end result sorbet was actually pretty good and sweet, but I think if I were to make it again, I'd just use mangoes. Cause you know, they taste good and not at all like cheese or cardboard. Verdict: recipe successful, but I don't like papayas. Blech.

I really wanted to hate everything that came out of Martha Stewart, but it's just not possible with this book. The recipes are way too reliable, taste delicious, and are successful every time, even when I don't know what I'm doing (as was the case with the gougeres). 

No comments:

Post a Comment