Monday, August 17, 2009

The Vegetarian Epicure by Anna Thomas

Can I just say, I love this book? I love everything from it's earthy hand-drawn illustrations to it's crazy hippy recipes for potato peel soups. The Vegetarian Epicure was originally published sometime way back in the early 70s and came to me sometime in my early college days and it is one of the iconic vegetarian cookbooks of the time. It's like an artifact or something now. 

But despite how adorable it is, I actually like cooking from this book. Most of the recipes have stood the test of time and are thankfully older than some vegetarian frankenfoods, so the ingredients are all still familiar, normal things like regular fruits and vegetables. The book is organized by type of recipe, and includes the familar soups and sauces chapters, but also includes ones for souffles, crepes, and curries. From this book, I've made whole wheat orange pancakes, a lasagne with wine sauce, a potato cheese casserole and a fruit tart.  While some of the measurements were off, like the fruit tart that called for 6-7 plums, two peaches, and a whole pint of strawberries, but that only fit 3 plums, everything turned out delicious, and normal enough to serve to company. 

I don't think I'll ever get rid of this book. It brings back warm fuzzy memories of college, and  cooking for other people, because of course, everyone is vegetarian in college. And it's just plain adorable to read and think about baking bread and making a steaming pot of soup from on a rainy winter day. So nostalgia. I guess that's why I'm keeping it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment