Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Going public

Well I've decided I might as well make this public. My theory is, if I know other people are reading this, it will force me to keep things more organized. I've decided to start a few tags...mainly for books I want to revisit and go more in-depth with after the year's end, and also for books I'll purge. I'm also thinking of reviewing all 5 recipes from each book. And also trying really, really hard to stick with just one book at a time. I think that's going to be my biggest challenge. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Silver Spoon, Recipe 3 - Cream of Carrot Soup

I was actually really disappointed with this recipe. After the other things I've tried in this book, I was expecting some kind of monumental deliciousness. But the soup was just meh. Granted, it called for homemade meat stock and I certainly wasn't going to go there, but I don't think even that would have saved it. It's perfectly fine and carroty, just bland and boring. Not likely to make it again. 

This recipe was absurdly simple and had a very small list of ingredients. You know, like all proper Italian food. But its lack of depth of flavor really made me think I need to start challenging myself more. Anyone can make bland carrot soup. So I flipped through the book to find something a little more involved and found Mushroom Pie With Walnut Cream. I think this will be my next venture. It involves puff pastry which is totally unchartered territory for me. Hopefully I can get to it this weekend. 


No comments:

Post a Comment