Sunday, January 18, 2009

The Bon Appetit Cookbook, Part 1

My next book is one that I'd been wanting forever, and had just never gotten around to picking up. I was so excited when I received it as a Christmas gift from my sister-in-law and brother. I've made two recipes from this book already. They are Oven-roasted winter vegetables with rigatoni, and Country mushroom and nut pate. The vegetable pasta recipe was absurdly easy. Pretty much all you need to do is chop up a ton of veggies, and then just throw them in a roasting pan, boil your pasta and then mix it together. I was a little worried it was going to be dry or bland, and it was surprisingly neither. It had a lovely sweet-roasty flavor and wasn't dry at all. 

The mushroom pate was just ok. It involved an awful lot of kitchen equipment between the several bowls for mixing, the pans for sauteeing, the food processor, etc. And personally, I wasn't all that wowed by the end result. I think that was in large part due to the fact that I used button mushrooms which are pretty bland, ya know? Next time I'd definitely use mostly shiitakes and maybe a mixture of wild mushrooms. 

I'm thinking at least one of the next three recipes from this book is going to have to be a fish one. I'm really intimidated by cooking fish at home. I'm not sure why. In the past, it's usually turned out decent. I guess it's just because I don't have as much experience cooking it. That, and I did once completely slaughter a scallop recipe years ago and haven't braved cooking them again since. Another one of them will probably be something meaty/chickeny for the husband. That always poses an extra challenge though since I can't even taste my own cooking. I guess my review will have to entirely lie on the process, and his opinion!

No comments:

Post a Comment