Sunday, February 8, 2009

The Bon Appetit Cookbook, Part 2

I can't believe how long it's taken me to finish this book. I guess I just haven't had as much time for cooking as I thought I would. At this rate, it'll likely take me ten years to work through all my cookbooks! I guess I'd better step on it. 

I made three more recipes out of the BA cookbook last week: an appetizer, a main dish, and a vegetable side. The appetizer was an Herbed Dipping Sauce, and basically just a green dip for veggies. It had a mayonnaise base and combined spinach, green onions and parsley (or basil had it been in season). 

The main I think was definitely the star of this round. Per my sister-in-law's request, I made Rigatoni with Tomatoes and Vodka. Really, how can you go wrong with pasta, cream, tomatoes and vodka? The only challenge with this recipe is the sauce didn't thicken in the time stated. I ended up having to throw a little cornstarch in to speed things up, otherwise my drained pasta would have gone dry and hard and well who wants to eat that?

The vegetable side dish was Green Beans with Walnuts, Lemon, and Parsley. Something here went horribly wrong, but I don't think it was due to anything in the recipe. First off, it called for fresh green beans, and I used frozen cause who's got the time to wash, trim, and halve crosswise two pounds of green beans on a weeknight?? I think my parsley may also have been a little past its prime. I used home-grown and it's on its second season. I think it unfortunately may have gone a little bitter and the whole thing just tasted like that...bitter. Which is really unfortunate because it sounds delicious. I would definitely try this one again, and listen when it specifies fresh green beans, and I'll also use either new parsley, or some that I've purchased. 

All in all, I am definitely enjoying this book. The recipes are very accessible, and easy to follow, and for the most part, they can be relied on to produce a serveable and tasty end product. I'll be keeping this one. 

2 comments:

  1. I acquired some *bitchin* cookbooks for you to try out! "Low Fat Country Cooking" obviously from the 70s OMG it's like midwest food (think geletin salads) made "low fat" because they use low fat mayo. Fabulous. I'm going to make a couple of the recipes this week. Just for kicks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! I can't wait to find out about them. Speaking of godawful 70s food, have you seen the candyboots website?
    http://www.candyboots.com/wwcards.html

    ReplyDelete