Sunday, January 18, 2009

Mushroom pie with walnut cream

Last week I made the fifth, and final recipe from The Silver Spoon. I'd decided to be a little adventurous and go with this pie, because it involved something I'd never worked with...puff pastry...and because, well who the heck knows what walnut cream is? It cost a small fortune to make between the box of puff pastry, and the 2.5 pounds of wild mushrooms required. But you know, it wasn't all that difficult once I got started. The ease of working with puff pastry was probably the biggest surprise. You pretty much just thaw it and throw it in the pan and voila! pastry! And the walnut cream was pretty much exactly that...walnuts, ground up with cream and some other good things like shallots and egg. It also called for ham, which I omitted, seeing as how I haven't eaten that in what? maybe 15 years now. I think if and when I were to make this again, if I was still omitting ham, I would likely toast the walnuts to make a richer flavor to the cream. Here's a shot of how it turned out

No comments:

Post a Comment